Our Claimable Expenses Fact Guide outlines what exactly is a claimable expense.
PRO TIP: If you can relate the expense to the production of income, it can be claimed.
What this means in practice is that anything which helps you earn money is claimable.
However you do have to exercise some judgment about this. A lot of clients think that their gym fees are a claimable expense as they need to keep fit and healthy – er, no. That’s a personal expense. Likewise doctor fees and health insurance.
Here are some things which may be claimable expenses:
- Bank Fees
- Business insurance
- Business assets (write off and depreciation rules apply)
- Consulting & Accounting
- Interest on business loans
- Legal expenses (may be capital in nature)
- Motor Vehicle Expenses (specific rules apply to ensure that this is deductible)
- Office Costs
- Printing, Post & Stationery
- Repairs & Maintenance
- Telephone & Internet
- Workers compensation insurance
Do You Need Help?
If you’re not sure and you are a beany client, reach out and we can assist you in determining its deductibility.