Check out this fantastic recipe from gourmet chef Michel Louws.
Michel was previously Executive Chef at Huka Lodge and recently featured as guest chef on Master Chef New Zealand. We’re happy to have him on board as a Beany customer.
Recipe By: Michel Louws
- 1 kg dried beans, a single variety or a mix (white, black , kidney any favourites)
- 20 gr mustard powder
- 3 pc smoked ham hocks
- 650 gr heinz tomato sauce
- 3 thinly sliced medium onions
- 100 ml treacle
- 175 soft brown sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 or 2 chorizo, to taste, depending on the type of chorizo you choose
1. Soak beans overnight, in a spacious container, they will expend.
2. Rinse the beans, cover with fresh cold salted water, bring to boil for 10 min. Drain and reserve liquid.
3. Mix beans with all other ingredients, cover to 2 cm on top of the beans with cooking liquid, cover with a sheet of baking paper and then tightly with aluminium foil, cook in oven, 120 degrees for 8 hrs.
4. Once cooked, remove foil and let cool. Now you can pack them down in smaller portions and freeze if you like.
Heat before eating, I love them with a poached egg and melted (cumin) cheese over the top, toasted sourdough and a good helping of chipotle or any smokey chilli on the side, add some fresh dressed leaves like rocket or watercress for a some interesting freshness.
See Michel’s previous recipe for us Beany Peany Soup.